A meaningful Day...
Well the day started out a little "icky'...maybe it's just that when I am under the weather my emotions run a little high. The weekend was loaded with good times with Al's parents returning from Lebanon after almost 4 months, a super awesome wedding of a close cousin and the birth of number 14 grandchild on Al's side: Sam Simon Semaan. Unfortunately, the good times was accompanied by me getting a gnarly migraine and some infectious thing in my lungs which has me coughing constantly.
So the day...swim lessons with Samira and then off to the promised few hours at the beach. She has been a little under the weather as well, so I thought maybe some good ole' California sun would make us feel better and bake out the nasty stuff. Needless to say she managed in the first hour to throw some serious attitude, kick sand all over hers and my lunch, get 3 time outs...and there's more but won't bore you with the details. So as I was packing up to leave because I had had it, she manages to squeak out through her tears that she is so sorry, that I am the best mommy and she didn't know what came over her. OK..really???? Trying not to laugh through my anger, I stopped what I was doing, sat down on the towel with her and pretty much had our first "heart to heart" ..if that's possible with a 3 year old.
I told her that I was sorry because mommy may have been upset with other things and taken some of it out on her...but that did not excuse the way she had been acting. We proceeded to talk for awhile, she having many apologies along with me asking her to explain why, and then spent the rest of the beach day laying down on our towels together, and eating our rinsed off lunch. The lunch was followed by a brief nap on the beach with my little girl.
I know it may be silly to even think so much about this, but it was such a moment I had with Samira that I so much needed. We both have had a little bit of a whirlwind week and a half with all the surprises, visitors, nights out, her overnight at friend's houses, babysitters..etc. I know my life is not busy like other's , but in some ways it is in different ways and it is easy to forget that the little one's need that "special" time. Mommy's need that special time. In an instant they can change you from a sad feeling to the happiest feeling in the world.
0 comments:
Post a Comment